About Expanded Learning
Expanded learning adds time for learning and enrichment that complements the school day. It incorporates learning that is hands-on, engaging and helps children and youth gain the skills and knowledge they need for success in school and life.
High quality expanded learning builds on school-community partnerships, engages families to participate in their children's learning, and links to meals and supports for physical and mental well-being.
These opportunities work best when they utilize financial models that are affordable, scalable and sustainable.
High quality expanded learning opportunities for students incorporate the following key principles:
- School-community partnerships—building upon strong collaboration between communities and schools
- Engaged learning—incorporating learning that is hands-on and engaging
- Affordability and scalability—utilizing financial models that are affordable, scalable and sustainable
- Learning time afterschool and during the summer—adding significant time for learning and enrichment that complements the school day
- Family engagement—engaging families to participate in their children's learning
- Health and wellness—linking to meals and providing opportunities and supports for physical and mental well-being