- VPOST became a Mott Foundation-funded statewide afterschool network in 2010 and continues to receive matching funds from the Virginia Department of Education.
- An organizational development and strategic planning session was hosted in which 18 members of VPOST’s leadership council attended.
- VPOST was named by the National League of Cities as one of nine grantees nationwide to host a 2012 Mayoral Summit.
- VPOST was named as a subgrantee through the National Afterschool AmeriCorps VISTA project.
- VPOST hosted their second annual Leadership Summit, which focused on the value of networking, funding for afterschool meals and engaging municipal leaders. In attendance were 63 guests from a diverse array of organizations across Virginia.
- VPOST funded the first annual Lights On Afterschool mini-grant competition, which will support local afterschool programs to help offset event costs.
Current Projects and Initiatives:
VPOST is working with an AmeriCorps VISTA to develop systems to promote and support the provision of afterschool meals and snacks and summer enrichment programs connected to summer meal programs.
- The goal of this work is to increase participation among low-income children and families, with a specific target on low-income, impoverished and diverse neighborhoods throughout Virginia.
- In conjunction with Mayor Dwight C. Jones of Richmond, VPOST will host a Mayoral Summit to discuss the need for before and afterschool programs, summer activities and other OST learning opportunities for youth.